Film poster

Film poster

Monday, September 5, 2011

Green Acre Days

My visit to Green Acre this year coincided with 'Abdu'l-Bahá's visit of 1912!  If only I had come 99 years earlier . . . or could re-visit, in a proper time machine, not just through research and imagination!

As usual, I kissed the ground upon arrival, as did my cohort, Louise King, who had flown with me.  It was well past midnight, and the dew upon the grass was a welcome balm after the drought of Texas.  My knees got wet; I assume hers did, too.  Kissing the earth there was sweet indeed--I have experienced that in every season, through mud, through snow. . . . A strange ritual, but as the Master calls Green Acre the "Acca of the Western world," I fall into an immediate entrancement there.

Louise with costumes
I was staying in the new hall--named after Harry Randall--and had a large room with three beds, which I promptly filled up with books, papers, hats and costumes!  Louise was on the fourth floor of the Inn, so we carried her bags up the stairs in that beloved old building.

I was there to give classes--but so much else occurred! Calvin came up from Baltimore, to shoot video. We created "historic" recreations--at the Inn, at Ole Bull, at Staples.

Can you recognize any of these "early" believers?





 My dear friend Don Alusic came, with his camera, and we shot some interviews.  Kathy Hogenson, below, who wrote the new book, Lighting the Western Sky: The Hearst Pilgrimage and the Establishment of the Baha'i Faith in the West, did a great interview!






Nancy Aldrich Reimer also came and did an interview on Dublin, which was marvelous. Don Streets was interviewed as well!

                                    Calvin and I were a good team for this part of the journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment